- Search for and share a famous quote about independence.
- Be sure to note the author, and the date, and if you can, the text in which the quote originally appeared.
- Tell us why you selected this particular quote as connecting back to our foundational text, the declaration of Independence.
This blog is a discussion and drafting space for Expository Writing at Abington High School. Use the space to brainstorm, ask questions, make suggestions, and build up our community of writers. We will share our homework , plan for discussion and continue thinking after class is over...
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Independence Quotes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
1)"Give me the liberty to know, to think, to believe, and to utter freely, according to conscience, above all liberties.
2)This quote was by John Milton in 1644 in the text Areopagitica.
3)This quote has to do with wanting freedom and the deceleration of independence has to do with getting freedom and getting independence.
1." I have not lived as a woman. I have lived as a man. I've just done what I wanted to, and I've made enough money to suppprt myself, and I ain't afraid of being alone."
2. I quoted Katharine Hepburn. I am not sure of the date or original document that this quote is originally from.
3. I selected this quote as connecting back to the Declaration of Independence because she clearly stated the problem and is learning that all women have the same problem. Also because the DOI states that everyone has unalienable rights and Katharine is struggling with life in this quote.
1) “Freedom (n.): To ask nothing. To expect nothing. To depend on nothing.”
2) This was from Ayn Rand in 1943 in her novel 'The Fountainhead'.
3) I chose this quote because of how accurate it is on explaining what freedom truly is.
1)“I do not wish them [women] to have power over men; but over themselves.” 2) This is from Mary Wollstonecraft, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman.
3)I chose this quote because in the Declaration of Independence woman wanted the change to be independent and not to have the chance to not be controlled by men.
1) "The great revolution in the history of man, past , present and future is the revolution of those determined to be free." 2) This quote is from John F. Kennedy . 3) I chose this quote because it connected to the DOI because the colonist had a revolution and were determined to get their freedom .
"The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive in the environment in which you first find yourself." this quote is by Mark Caine. I could not find the date or the text in which this was said. I selected this quote because it relates to how when our country had to break away from Great Britain.
1)"Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better" -Albert Camus
2)It is a quotation by Albert Camus and there is no date with it.
3)I selected this quote because it relates to American immigrants who moved away from Britain to lead better lives in America.
1) "You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."-Malcolm X
2) The author of this quote is Malcolm X and it was said in 1965.
3) I selected this quote because it connects the three natural rights in the declaration of independence by saying how a man is happy and how his life is joyful through peace.
1. "Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."-Moshe Dayan
2.the author of this quote is Moshe Dayan i couldn't find the date.
3.i selected this quote because it is saying a man needs freedom just like how the declaration say we need independence and freedom.
1."True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made."- Franklin D. Roosevelt
2.the author of this quote is franklin D. Roosevelt. This quote was said by President Franklin D. Roosevelt during his State of the Union Address on January 11, 1944.
3. i selected this quote because this showed me the indication of how freedom needs to be displayed We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence.
1)“I'd rather die my way than live yours.”
2) This was a quote from Lauren Oliver. It was from her book "Delirium."
3) I chose this quote because it's saying how important freedom is.
"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."
1)This is a quote by Abraham Lincoln in 1962.
2)I chose this quote because it stresses the importance of not giving up or surrendering and it proves that America has never been the type of country to do so.
1)"Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation and freedom in all just pursuits."
2) This quote was written by Thomas Jefferson and i couldn't find when he wrote it.
3) I selected this quote because it connects back to our foundational text. They way it connects to our foundational text is because it talks about freedom and having a good life witch are both stated in the text.
Post a Comment