Getting High
Funny feelings… dazing off… having
your own party in your head… headaches from coming down…. not so fun.
One thing not many
people know about me from first sight is that I am diabetic. I found out
at age 10 that I was and still am a type 1 diabetic. This means my immune system is attacking my pancreas
and will not allow it to make insulin.
As a result means there is no way I am getting read of my disease and I
will be injecting insulin for the rest of my life.
I test my sugar about
4 times a day, unzip my pouch, pull out a test strip, wait for it to load, then
prick my finger and add the blood. Ya
four times a day of that. This helps me
know where I am at. I look for it to be
in between 90 to 120(a normal person blood sugar.)
Most of the time I have symptoms and I
can catch myself on lows, but highs can come right on without notice, I guess
what I am saying is that I can’t catch my highs as good as lows. When my sugar gets low I know from me shaking
inside, so I can eat and fix it and be on my merry way, but those highs
suck. When I reach about 200 - 230 I get
a head ache.
Have
you ever felt like you were annoyed or irritated at someone for no reason. When my sugar hit about 270, I start to get
that feeling instantly. It’s not to fun,
one moment I can be laughing and have an awesome time and once my sugar
gets 270or above, SNAP, I’m irritated at
to much sounds in the room or any little thing.
When I get to 300 or above I start
getting tired and not feeling good. It
almost feels as if I have sand bags on my feet and everything just starts to
blur out. When I get to this point it’s
best for me to take insulin and rest. I
am completely useless, I can’t think straight, seeing double, it’s all just a
mess.
Once my sugar reaches 350 and above I
start to black out and can’t remember much.
I remember my mom telling me how I was one time. I was just at the kitchen table just
finishing dinner and I just sat staring at nothing until my mom sad something
to me and I looked at her. I starting
talking as a child and throwing everything I had in reach everywhere. My mom had me test my sugar and it was 510,
520, somewhere in that area. After that
she had me take my insulin and go out walking.
When I came back to it was weird.
I remembered being in my house then it seemed like I woke up at my gram
mother’s in a chair with a towel over my face.
I didn’t know what was going on, the only thing I knew that I was really
tired and felt like up chucking everywhere.
I told my doctor what happened to me
the next time I saw him. He said that I was
lucky. If my sugar got up to 600, I
could have gone into a coma and could have lost memory, muscle movement, let’s
just say I could have done a lot of damage to myself or even worst, die.
High sugars for me could kill me one
day, but I can’t let it stop me from living my life. At times it can be scary if I forget my
insulin and have nothing to bring my sugar down. Getting high is just a small part of a diabetic’s
life, a part which is not fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment