Thursday, March 5, 2015

Stephen King: Argument Questions 2,4 and 5 page 315

In your comments, answer the questions in your book for  Stephen King's Argument [ "Now You Take "Bambi" or "Snow White"--That's Scary!" 1981, TV Guide]. 

First # the paragraphs. There are 13. 
As you answer, refer to points in the text by paragraph # of the total paragraphs. This helps us understand where in the build-up of the structure your quote fits. Page numbers don't mean the same thing.

Answer.

And keep in mind:

  • If your comments follow someone else in sequence, feel free to comment on that person's answer, to agree or disagree, or take that answer as a jumping off point. It feels good to know someone agrees with you.
  • If you have a question, or would like more information from a person, ask. It also feels good to know someone read your comment and that you can clarify confusion for someone else.
  • If you read after you post--and you should-- jump in and comment. This is a discussion that is "asynchronous" which means that we aren't in the same room at the same time, but we can still have back and forth.


2. Does King rely mainly on inductive or deductive reasoning to make his case? provide examples to support your answer.

4. Who is King's audience? Does he make a convincing case? Explain.

Do you agree with King's contention about having a "high shelf" for younger children? if so, what current movies would you place on that shelf? What "questionable" movies would you allow children to watch? If you don't believe in the high shelf, explain why.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

2. King relies mainly on inductive reasoning because he doesn't make his case immediately. It is within the writing piece, but is later found instead of finding it right away.

4. King's audience is the parents of young children who say that he should not write such terrifying books and movies. He does make a convincing case because he points out that regular childhood fables are actually more terrifying than what he writes. He also points out that if you don't want your kids to watch it, then take precautions to not let that happen.

I agree with having a "high shelf" for children. It prevents them from watching things that could potentially gives them bad nightmares or fears. On the other hand, I think every child has a different tolerance to these movies so I am not sure if I would personally have one depending on how my child can handle the movie.I would allow my children to watch anything that they say or I know they are ready for. If I did have a high shelf though, I would put movies with profanity and bad language on it because I am more concerned with those movies than a horror movie.

Unknown said...

1.) Stephen King relies on an inductive reasoning because you have to go into the story to find what he's trying to get at. He also doesn't talk right away at what he's getting at and what the point of his reading is.

2.) I think Stephen Kings audience is parents, guardians, and maybe people who want to be parents. He's trying to explain that he writes scary stuff but what children are watching are scary too and we don't even know it.

I do agree with the high shelf, I think it's a great way to keep scary things away from your kids but it doesn't mean that they don't want to see it. I don't know exactly what movies I would put up there but there won't be a lot because I don't like scary movies or even movies like Snow White and Bambi.

Unknown said...

2. King relies mainly on inductive reasoning, he doesn't state what he's trying to tell the reader at the beginning he makes the reader wait until the end to state his point.

4. I think that Kings audience is grandparents, and parents of small children that complain about horror movies being on TVs for kids to find and watch. He tries to explain that even though he writes what people find horrifying and dark, that the movies that are made "for kids" are just as if not more horrifying then what he writes.

5. I agree that there should be a high shelf and that movies like Bambi, any movie with excessive swearing, blood, and jumpscares, the Alien movies. I always think that if I show I kid I have in the future Bambi I think that as soon as Bambi's mother dies it's all going to go down hill and they're going to be scared to leave my side because they don't want mommy to get shot by some hunter (sure this won't happen exactly but that's what they might think) then hail to separation anxiety.

Unknown said...

2. King relies on inductive reasoning,slowly building his argument.
4. Kings audience is the people telling him that his books and movies are bad for children to see/too scary, and he makes a very good case, stating how its not his fault for making scary movies but the parents fault for letting their child watch these movies.
I do agree, depending on your child. I've been watching horror movies since I was born, and they don't phase me. But if your kid is squeamish, why let them watch a horror movie in the first place?

Unknown said...

2. King relies mainly on inductive reasoning because you have to the story to find out what the point he is trying to make at the end of the story.

4. I think Stephen Kings audience is parents, grandparents that don't want their kids being afraid of horror movies. He tries to explain that just because it's a kids movie or show it can still be horrifying.

5. I agree with high shelf, if you want your kids or grandchildren to stay away from scary movies it's a good way.

Meghan said...

2.Stephen King relies mainly on inductive reasoning. He doesn't explicitly express his opinion/ beliefs at the beginning of his writing, instead he builds to his main point throughout the course of his writing. For example, his "thesis" doesnt really appear until the second to last paragraph.

4.King's audience is mostly the parents of little kids who question how people could let their kids watch king's movies. I believe that he does make a convincing case because he makes solid arguments. Such arguments such as if the movies are going to harm or scare their children just monitor what they watch, or if they are going to bash showing children his movies, then they should pay attention to the story line behind the fairy tales that they already show their children.
5.I agree with Kings contention about having a "high shelf" makes a ton of sense. Every child is different and matures at a different rate. I think parents have to monitor everything that their children watch as to not expose them to things too early. Having a "high shelf" or way of monitoring what your kids watch gives you this control.

Amandha A. said...

2. King relies mainly on inductive reasoning to make his case. In King's essay, he brings to surface many different examples which together contribute to one main message. King waits until the second to last paragraph on page 315 to conclude his message and state his thesis.

4. King's audience are parents who have children, people who have read childhood fairy tales, and those who question King's writing. King does make a convincing case. He first provides the audience with a different perspective behind the fairy tales that they may not have considered. King then combines all of his points to conclude and state his thesis. King's essay is well written and as a reader he has me convinced.

5. I understand King's contention about having a "high shelf" for younger children but I wouldn't choose to have one myself. I don't believe in a "high shelf" myself because I wasn't raised with one. My parents never kept anything from my siblings or myself that they wouldn't want to be found. I personally prefer this method, but like I said, I can understand why others may opt for a "high shelf".

Unknown said...

2.King wrote in inductively in his story/essay, “Now you take “Bambi” or “Snow White”- That’s Scary”. He starts off with different examples of different books and shows that are not good for children to watch. Then at the end he states why he wrote the whole story/essay in the last paragraph or two.


4.King’s audience is for parents with young child/children. The essay/story was all about being a responsible parent and to know what your kid(s) watches and does.

5.
Yes I do agree with King’s approach of the “high shelf” for movies so kid(s) will not get at them. I believe there is a certain age for everything, I mean I wouldn’t let a 7 year old drive a car or a 9 year old to own a gun. I wouldn’t let a little kid(s) watch “Saw” or “Jason” movies at 4 or 5 years old.

Unknown said...

2. I believe that King strongly relies mainly on inductive reasoning. He uses specific examples like explaining the horrifying fables and then generally ends by saying his movies are not as scary as what we let children watch.
4. King’s audience is to parents who have young children but also to people who believe that his movies are “too horrifying”. He does make a convincing case because from paragraph 1 to 4 he explains a common fable watched by many and it really opens your eyes to see in writing how terrifying it really is.
I would agree with having a “high shelf” for younger children; especially my children. I remember when I was younger my father and brother would make me watch horror movies and I’m still scarred. I feel as though a younger boy could handle certain horror movies opposed to a younger girl. It really all depends on the movie, how old your child is, and if you think they could handle watching the film.