Thursday, September 8, 2011

Do You Agree with King about the High Shelf?

If you agree with King, what current movies would you place on the high shelf?
List one or two and say why. Add more if you want.

What questionable movies would you allow kids to watch? Explain why.

If you don't believe in the high shelf, explain why.

25 comments:

Dr. G. said...

I believe in the high shelf. I was scared as a kid by the movie War of the Worlds. However, my dad let me watch The Planet of the Apes with him and I began to love science fiction.

I have seen the trailer for Rise of the Planet of the Apes and , no, I wouldn't let my thrid grade niece watch it--she'd be way too scared.

I would let my nephew because he thinks monkeys are cool.

don said...

I believe in the high shelf becuase it can prevent little kids from watching things they shouldnt be. A movie that i would place on the high shelf would be The Texas Chainsaw Massacre becuase it is very violent and it exposes a lot of things that kids shouldn't be exposed to at such a young age.

A movie that i would let my kids watch would be any movie that is age appropiate for them.

Dr. G. said...

Thanks for contributing to the blog! It would be helpful for me, and maybe others, to mention names of specific movies as examples ; for instance, what is age-appropriate for an 8 year old you know? Also, when more than one movie has the same name, like Psycho, mention the year of the movie. I like using Internet Movie Database [imdb.com and there is an app for that, too]to get specifics when I am writing or in a discussion.

patrick zadrozny said...

I believe in the high shelf when it comes to home movies but television should not have one. There are some movies such as Final Destination and friday the 13th that should be on the high shelf. These two movies should be on the high shelf because they display blood, violence much being murder, nudity and unappropriate language. television should not have a high shelf system. If parents are worried about what there kids are watching then block controls can be placed on selected programs to ensure they cannot be watched. I think that children should watch movies rated for there age. For example if a child is fifteen then he/she should watch any movie rated under R.

nicole said...

I believe in the high shelf system to prevent children from watching movies that aren't age appropriate for them. If I had a high self in my house I would put movies like Insidious up there. I watched that last night and I personally thought it was really creepy so I wouldn't want a child to watch it. I would also put the final destination movies up there like Pat said. Pretty much anything really gory and violent would go up there.

As for movies like Hansel and Gretel and 101 dalmations, I would let my kids watch them. Even though the storys are bad I feel like since they're animated kids know that they aren't real so they aren't afraid of them.

Mike Leary said...

I agree with the High Shelf belief because there are a lot of movies out these days that I would say are far too much for kids to be watching unless they are of the approiate age. For example, the Saw series is over the top gory and I don't see why any kid should be allowed to watch it unless of course they were of the approiate age. Another movie thats not necessarily gory and disturbing but more likely to freak little kids out would be Paranormal Activity. To me the movie was boring but I could see why a young child would likely be frightened by it and therefore I would place it on the High shelf as well.

Caitlin said...

I agree that there should be a high shelf for younger children because they will be frightened by certain movies with violence and inappropriate language. Movies that are meant to frighten you should be not shown to young children such as the hills have eyes. However movies such as Bambi are made for little kids to watch and aren't thinking about the concept at that age.

christina said...

I believe in the high shelf for young children because it cna prevent kids from being afaid and having nightmares. I do not believe that young children should be watching scary movies. A movie that i would place on the high shelf would be any movie with violence or inapropreate language.A movie i wouldn't put on the high shef would be childrens movies such as bambie>

Kelly Neilan said...

I believe in the high shelf because kids don't need to be experiencing that sort of violence and language until they are older and can tolerate it. A movie that I could put on the high shelf would be the Exorcist. I would let kids watch any Disney movie because the kids aren't thinking about the meaning behind the movie like Bambi or Snow White.

Whitman said...

I believe in the high shelf for children because children should not be exposed to raw violence or the adult humor that they are not able to understand. The kids watch these films tend to repeat things they hear and see in the movies and thats not appropriate. A movie that should be on the high shelf would be The Human Centipede because this film is a very graphic, sickening movie and the idea of humans being attached mouth to buttocks is so out there that kids would just not be able to comprehend what was going on. They would probably not finish watching the movie.

A movie i feel could be wacthed by kids would be The Lion King because it is a nice message even though there is a little violence but nothing gory. Also Walt Disney films like Toy Story are good for kids because these films open up their imaginations but delivers a message of family and teamwork.

Scott said...

I feel that the high shelf is necessary to protect innocent children from viewing movies that they are not mentally prepared for. Jaws should be placed on the high shelf because it can leave children mentally scarred. I saw Jaws when I was a kid and it made me never want to be near the ocean again. An American Crime is another movie that no child should ever watch, based on the true story of a young girl who was gruesomely beaten and mentally abused it is far too much for any child to handle.

Requiem For a Dream is a movie that can teach children an important lesson. It contains a lot of extremely graphic material but that is what is needed to prevent kids from using hard drugs. The movie shows the scary truth of what drugs do to different people and the long and short term consequences of using.

glendadasilva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
glendadasilva said...

I believe in the high shelf. I got easily scared watching movies that weren't horror when I was younger. I think I would have had nightmares for a long time if my mother had let me watch a horror movie. I wouldn't let my kid watch movies like Paranormal Activity or Hostel. Those type of movies would be what I would put on the high shelf because Paranormal Activity could easily scare any kid and they would probably be too scared to go to sleep or they would have nightmares. Hostel is very graphic, it shows a lot of blood, nudity and murder. It is definitely something you would not want your children to see. Kids don't understand these type of movies and would be left confused if parents let them watch it.

Movies that I would let my kid watch would be anything that is rated G or is a disney animated movie like The Lion King because it is obviously age appropriate.

Cassandra Cyprien said...

i actually do belive in the high shelf because when i was a kid e never had a "high shelf". I would have nightmears for months after watching a high shelf movie !! a current movie i would put on my high shelf is "Texas Chainsaw Massacar" and "the Crazies".

mikey said...

i dont believe in a high shelf because i dont feel like anyone is to young to be exposed to things they choose themselves. And if it does effect them negatively then that will be a learning experience for a kid and they will know not to pick those movies out again

Unknown said...

stephen king has a point, but every parent(s) make the choice to what the children can handle and what they can watch.

Bryan said...

i believe in the high shelf because i dont think kids should watch anything that could scare them or give them nightmares, for example Halloween or a movie from the saw series. However movies like bambi or snow white i would let children watch them because they dont usually think about the story behind the animations.

Ben Gaeta said...

I do agree with the high shelf. Although there is a distinct line and you cannot be to overprotective, as my mother was. I would place horror movies like the night of 1000 corpses or Rambo. Those kinds of movies kids dont need to see and shouldn't. I would let them watch jaws, planet of the apes, star wars and lord of the rings. those kinds of movies kids just like the sharks,monkeys, lightsabers and magic! They wouldnt be focused on the bad aspects that parents would be worried about.

Taylor Ward said...

I believe in high shelf because children should not watch movies that are not appropriate for the. Also, when children watch horror movies or rated R movies it scares them. It makes them believe that everything is bad. I would put the movies scream on the high shelf.
As a child my mom would only let me watch movies that were appropriate for me like PG movies.
I would only let children watch movies that werent scary and had a good lesson in them.

Nathan Morgan said...

I agree with the high shelf because children should not be exposed to the violence and adult humor in 'r' rated movies. The movies and shows that kids watch on tv or in theatres put opinions into kids' heads before they even know it. In a sense television does as much parenting as the parents to by teaching how kids should act whether through commercials and the shows and movies they watch.

matt forster said...

I beleave in the high shelf, I find that kids should only watch what they can handle. When I was young, a few movies scared me like IT the clown movie and gost ship I would watch it when my parents where not looking but they would no every time I watched something scary because I would not sleep In my room alone after I watched scary movies. My younger sisters are not allowed to watch movies with violence,blood,nudity or swearing in it because first of all what kids see kids do if a little kid hears some one on tv say a swear they very well might say it

shawn w said...

i think if kids read about these movies in books it would seem less frightning its the images that are scary not the story stephen king talked about how scary bsnow white was but it was a fairy tale first. i dont see any folklore on freddy kruger

Jordan Alves said...

I believe in the high shelf because there are some movies that are just not for kids. I wouldn't want my kids watching movies like Insidious or Saw because Saw can get really gory and Insidious is just plain creepy.
There are some movies that I would not mind letting them watch like Gremlins because it's not too scary and it's meant for kids.

charles said...

I do believe in the high shelf, some movies can be a little too graphic for the young minds of kids. Allowing certain movies to kids should be up to the parents and what they think is right for their kids age.

coral said...

i do beleve in the high shlef because som movies are just way to scarry for kids like the texas chansaw masscure but when my kids reach a serent age id show them those movies so that they know what goes on in the world