This blog is a discussion and drafting space for Expository Writing at Abington High School.
Use the space to brainstorm, ask questions, make suggestions, and build up our community of writers.
We will share our homework , plan for discussion and continue thinking after class is over...
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
critically thinking
Yasser, mikey
how do you guys feel about to the racism demonstrated in the book?
Racism in the books is far worse than anything i could've imaginged. It is an extremely cruel and awful way to treat people and violates thier basic human rights.
The racism in this book is terrible. I could never imagine having to go through something like that or seeing something like that. It's unimaginable unless you experience it first hand.
I find it weird, but not taht weird, because during the time mark wrote about in the first section--1965-1968--there was lots of racism in the US. While he was suffering police breaking into his housse, blacks were bing lynched in the American South, forbidden to eat lunch at the same counters as whites, forbidden to go to the same schools as whites, etc. Even in the 1970s in Boston, there was intense violence about integrating public schools--in the North, in Boston, which is stuff your parents and grandparents would remember. The thing that I know is that outright rasicm calmed down in the US (although it still exists) that apartheid went on until the 1990s..and it took a global embargo to bring it down--money, not morality, really.
That adults are mean to other adults--I get that-- but the way adults treated kids,especially ittle kids like 4 years old--that astonished me.
The racism in the book is extremely harsh and hard to believe. Educating people about racism is important because so many people are ignorant and dont know how much it affects others. The racism demonstrated in the book is really strong and beyond belief.
In an area where mark lived it was obviously cruel and I cannot stand that they have potential to improve their lives but racism keeps people fighting eachother and refuse to relent even when it makes thier lived worse
6 comments:
I do not agree with the racism demonstrated in theis book. It is krewl and rong.
Racism in the books is far worse than anything i could've imaginged. It is an extremely cruel and awful way to treat people and violates thier basic human rights.
The racism in this book is terrible. I could never imagine having to go through something like that or seeing something like that. It's unimaginable unless you experience it first hand.
I find it weird, but not taht weird, because during the time mark wrote about in the first section--1965-1968--there was lots of racism in the US.
While he was suffering police breaking into his housse, blacks were bing lynched in the American South, forbidden to eat lunch at the same counters as whites, forbidden to go to the same schools as whites, etc.
Even in the 1970s in Boston, there was intense violence about integrating public schools--in the North, in Boston, which is stuff your parents and grandparents would remember.
The thing that I know is that outright rasicm calmed down in the US (although it still exists) that apartheid went on until the 1990s..and it took a global embargo to bring it down--money, not morality, really.
That adults are mean to other adults--I get that-- but the way adults treated kids,especially ittle kids like 4 years old--that astonished me.
The racism in the book is extremely harsh and hard to believe. Educating people about racism is important because so many people are ignorant and dont know how much it affects others. The racism demonstrated in the book is really strong and beyond belief.
In an area where mark lived it was obviously cruel and I cannot stand that they have potential to improve their lives but racism keeps people fighting eachother and refuse to relent even when it makes thier lived worse
Post a Comment