Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Narrative Models

This Friday, you have been asked to read any two of the following narrative model essays:
Two professional models:
  1. "Dishing Dirt" by Emily White (handout)
  2. "Conehead" by Stephen King (handout)

Two free lance articles:
  1. "Sissy" by Jen Hull (in the Links to the right)
  2. "Amtrak Blues" by Austin Powers (in the links to the right)

In your comments below, please write a brief response to the two narrative essays you read.
  1. Who you think is the audience for each essay ?
  2.  For what reason did each author write his or her essay?

Disclosure: Jen Hull is my cousin and Austin Powers is my nephew.

16 comments:

Molly DeQuinzio said...

I think the audience for the essay Dishing Dirt is teenagers. The reason the author wrote that essay was to show how some people will do anything to be popular.
I think the audience for the essay Cone Head was probably college students and above. The reason the author wrote this essay was to show that bad things happen all the time to people.

Tia said...

1) Dishing Dirt by Emily White

I think the auidence for this essay was teenage girls who find themselves constantly engagaing in rumors and beleiving stories when they dont know the whole truth or even the person.

I think Emily White wrote this to show girls that judging people off of what rumors you heard isn't always wise. That just because you hear a disturbing rumor about a girl doesnt mean shes a bad person.


2) Sissy by Jennifer Hull

I think her auidence was both people who are really close to their dogs and people who have nevber experienced a love for an animal to show them how strong a bond could be.

I think her reason for writing this was to show people how much a pet can actually mean to a family. That the death of a close family dog can actually have as much of an impact as actually loosing a family member.

Jess Gosselin said...

Dishing Dirt was written to show teenagers the effects that rumors have on people and that you shouldn't spread them.

Cone Head was written to show people that bad things do happen, and that you shouldn't lie about things. But, you shouldn't let a bad incident stop you from trying to move past it.

Jess Gosselin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smit Patel said...

The audience to Dishing Dirt is teenagers, especially females, and for Cone Head, the audience is anyone who has committed a crime before or someone with really bad luck. Dishing Dirt was written to show how rumors can be very misleading, and Cone Head's purpose was to display an unfortunate set of events and bad luck.

Jill Feeney said...

I think that the audience for "Dishing Dirt" is teenagers that fall into the lies of rumors. I believe that the author wrote this essay to make teenagers know that rumors aren't always true and that you shouldn't pass them on because you don't really know that person.

I think that the audience for "Cone Head" is for college students that do dumb things. I think the author wrote this essay to warn college kids that their decisions might not always be the best one.

Conor Foley said...

I think both "Dishing Dirt" and "Cone Head" both direct teenaged audiendes. "Dishing Dirt" can show just how fast rumors spread and what they do to people, and "Cone Head" shows how much a simple prank can affect someone's life

Tim O'Connor said...

Dishing Dirt was written with intent to be read by teenagers to show them the consequences of what can happen when rumors start and are spread throughout the school.

Cone head was written with intent to be read by college students and students going to college in order to show them how bad making some stupid decisions can turn out.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dishing Dirt was ment to be read by teenagers to try and teach them a lesson about rumors and what they can do to your life.

Cone head was supposed to be read by college students to example how bad decisions will come out.

Justin Paolino said...

The audience for Dishing dirt was for teenagers and the purpose for the essay was to show the effect of how a rumors can spread and cause people harm

The audience for Cone Head was college students and up and coming adults and the purpose was to not tell lies and how one little inncodent can get you into big trouble

Justin Paolino said...

The audience for Dishing dirt was for teenagers and the purpose for the essay was to show the effect of how a rumors can spread and cause people harm

The audience for Cone Head was college students and up and coming adults and the purpose was to not tell lies and how one little inncodent can get you into big trouble

Teddy said...

1. Dishing dirt is for for teenager audences (13-18)I think it is manly for girls. I think emily wrote the essay to tell girls that if you hear a rumor don't tell anyone because it hurts your self inthe end.

2. cone head is for kids who are in collage. I think stephen king wrote this to tell people that some choices you first chose is not always the right one.

Ralph De Masi said...

I read the "Dishing Dirt" and "Cone Head" essays... the two essays were both directed to students the "Dirt" essay was to students that focus on the rumor mill and what ever comes out abd how people need to tell fact from fiction... while "Cone Head" was to college kids, and telling them to watch their actions.

sarawalsh1454 said...

The audience for "Sissy" is for parents who have a hard time breaking sad news to there children. Jen was trying to show how breaking news to kids is hard but it needs to be done. She shows that telling the boys about Sissy was hard, but it would have been worse not to tell them.

The audience for "Cone Head" was for anyone above the age of 18. Stephen King wanted to show that even the good ones can sometimes do wrong. I think that King put a great comical twist on this story for something that probably wasn't funny when it happened.

Dr. G. said...

Thank you so much for your insightful comments! I really missed you all today ... Enjoy vacation-- safely!