When you watch a movie or read a book, have you ever at the end wondered what would have happened if an event hadn't happened or a character either didn't exist or end up the way they did? Even though I have read more FanFics than I’ve written I know what the thought process is like when writing these stories. First thing you need to do when writing is use a disclaimer at either the beginning or the end of the FF, dont need nasty things like plagiarism lawsuits do we?
There is a whole list of places you can create your Fic from, it can be from anything you’ve taken interest in. Remember that movie that you watch on repeat? You know that movie you can quote word for word? Or the show you watch every week when theres a new episode, or binge watch on netflix? What about that book that you’ve killed the spine on? Well theres a FanFic for that. And theres an app for that. (Couldn’t resist.) So when I write a Fic it’s usually because I have the characters screaming in my head these idea’s about where they want the story to go. It’s usually from a book, I’ve read it once, twice… twenty times. So i want you to think for a minute if you would write a FanFic what would it be about? Lets start with a favorite book. Mine is Twilight (just wait) but when I write off of that i cross it over with something else. It’s no longer just a Twilight thing! I can get rid of leading man Edward Cullen (Thank God) and change Bella’s dependence on him, which is so much fun because of being able to write his reaction to her not needing him (haha mischief!). Thats another thing! When you write a FanFic you don't have to just stick with one source you can use as many as you want. It gets messy if you try to do more than two stories in a crossover so maybe we won't cover that today.
Now do you know the characters enough to write in their view? Well this in some cases doesn't matter it's your Fic and you can make the characters as OOC (out of character) as you want. Though the trick is to keep the character as close to the original as possible or else confusion will ensue. Sometimes when you write a Fic you want to add a character, your own person that you give "life" to. Or you can live vicariously through them and send yourself to Hogwarts... Yep! (Do you childhood?) That's another thing the setting is always important in a story. Take Harry and throw him into a boring life of none wizardry and toss in Hermione and the Weasleys in a normal high school setting, Dumbledores your principle, Snapes your mean-misunderstood- teacher oh and the Potter's live... SURPRISE! This is called an Alternate Universe, circumstance have changed, the setting, characters, conversations, and events have been set to a new level and the story has changed. Though I feel this is far too boring... hmm. Oh! Drama! SCANDAL! Nows the time to realize that your story has slowed to a stop and this is my fault, oops! Okay so there is one thing you need, a problem. I mean have you ever written a story? Or lived?
Here's a list of must's you might want in a FanFic. 1) A Protagonist and an Antagonist YOU NEED THE ESSENTIALS learn that every story needs a "hero" and a "villain". 2) Supporting characters! Bet this is sounding familiar. 3) Plot! TWISTS AND ALL. And 4) The Feels. This is usually where the reader feels the emotion as it's being read every word hits home and makes them react emotionally... and visually. Paired with every FanFic there is a fangirl (and under my thumbs is autocorrect... ugh) there will be angry fists, teary eyes, and high pitched squealing, I partake in all three and it's a lifestyle let me tell you.
So fan away! Make your obsession your own! You know you want to!
1 comment:
Danielle, I hear your voice loud and clear! You explain the concept, tell us how you do this and how we might try it out, too. This is the way I watch TV and I would probably write fanfic off of my favorite series and characters. I cannot resist the 'What if...?" questions and I ALWAYS evaluate the writers' choices--ALWAYS!
Especially, I enjoyed your side comments--there's an app/autocorrect. You could be a writing teacher!
Post a Comment