Your response paper on Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane is due on November 8.
How are you doing with the reading so far?
Have any of the resource sheets or sites been helpful to you?
If so, which ones?
What is your response to the section of the memoir you have chosen to read?
If you want to see how your classmates in period 2 and/or 3 are responding, ask them a question below.
19 comments:
I am doing well and i am enjoying the read. I just feel that i will not have the whole section read by the deadline because i am not a fast reader or read a whole lot even if i am interested in the book.
I began reading section 2 of Kaffir Boy and I find it so easy to read. The way the author tells the story makes me want to read more and more about what he experienced when he was young. I am definitley going to use the refrences you gave to us so it can help me understand how to write a response essay.
In the reading i have completed so far, it seems like the author had such a tough lifestyle, but he acts so strong throughout it. Although he struggles with going to school to get a good education, he still pushes through it. His mother is pressured by his father but she tries to be a good influence on her son so he has a good future.
I am looking forward to reading the rest of this section and finding out what happens in the conclusion.
I am doing good with the book. But I would have to agree with Whitman on finishing the book and essay on time.
I am not doing so well with the reading soo far I find it sort of hard to read because im not really into the book, the topic doesnt interest me, and it is also very sad. The resources have helped a little to better understand the economy in south africa. My response to section one is that it is verry sad and at times destebing but if you are interested in reading about society and economy and the struggles some people go threw this is a great story for you.
I am reading part two of Kaffir Boy and so far I am really enjoying it. Comparing all of the differences and similarities between life here and life in South Africa under the apartheid is interesting to me. All of the resource sheets have been helpful especially the one stating different laws in South Africa, it gave me a better understanding of what was happening in the book. I also like shmoop.com it has a lot of great information on many different topics and books and it is reliable
I am reading the first section and im doing good and enjoying it.
I'm almost done with section 3 but I won't have an essay done on the 8th. The refrence sheets with background info about the section has been really helpful.
The section I have been reading has been really interesting. Learning about how he has to fight to do anything with his tennis. It was shocking to read about all the riots going on. But it was nice to know that their were White Tennis players that were there to help him out whenever he needed it.
I am reading the first section of Kaffir Boy. So far it is going well, i think it is really sad how Mathabane had to overcome so many difficult obstacles just to have a chance at having a normal life. I am about half way through the fisrt section and i am enjoying it more than i thought i would. I havent really had to look at the handouts because i have found it a rather easy story to follow.
I am reading the first part of kaffir boy, i am not that far in the book yet but where i am it seems pretty exciting but also pretty scary to realize that this is a true account
Okay, it is ideal to read the whole section, but tomorrow we will check to see if you need the whole section to do the assignment.
Often, you can still do the assignment because you have read enough to have a reaction that you can record in 1-2 pages.
Remember, part of learning to write for an authentic audience is to understand just how much you need.
Also, if you are bogged down, try skipping to the next chapter. The book police will not come to get you. If you are really behind: skim.
College and work are really severe with deadlines, and extensions are hard to get. Skimming will sometimes get you by (I know from experience.).
How to skim? Read the first and last paragraphs of each chapter and the first and last sentences of each paragraph. If you get hooked, you can read more. If you aren't, you probably have enough to get the job done.
let me know how that works for you.
I am enjoying reading Kaffir boy very much so. I find it extremely interesting and compelling,the author has a well established diction and great writing style that makes you want to continue to turn the page.Its hard to find a good book that i actually want to read and the main thing i look for in a book is not the story or the actual topic. But the style of and the quality of that writing is whats most important. and the quality of the writing is superb.
Kaffir Boy has been a slow read for me. Its not the kind of book the interests me, thats why its difficult for me to get attached to it.Im trying to use resource sites like spark notes to help me more understand the book.
I've been reading section 1 and almost through it. It is not my kind of book but the whole idea or surviving in a racist society interests me.
I have just started reading the first part of kaffir boy.So far I like it but I think if I read section 2 I will get more into the book. The resource I have used is shmoop. This webpage is definitly helping me out alot. At some points I dont understand what he is saying so I just go to shmoop or sparknotes to get a summary.
I am done reading the first section and it was slow just like every other story starts out to be. the overall story does seem really interesting but i could not connect with it. i do however have enough to write a paper on because of many elements that he faced at such a young age.
I am finding this book to be very frustrating. There are some parts where it is enjoyable and easier to read while the following chapter is dull and harder to get my attention. It's like reading through you're favorite series and having one or two books let you down.
I began reading section 2 and it has been easy to read.I find it very interesting. The author seemed to have gone through a very tough life and he expresses it very well in the memoir. I plan on using the resource sheets and the sites to further help me understand the memoir better.
i am doing really good with the reading so far. The sheets have been extremely helpful to me because alot of the language and terms that kaffir boy uses are unfamiliar to me. I find the memoir very interesting because he explains the hardships he was forced to face in his daily life.
Post a Comment