Okay, in your participation evaluations, some of you have confessed a strong dislike for Garrison Keillor's voice in our daily Writer's Almanac broadcast.
I am listening.
My intent was to begin class everyday with background information that writers need to be more aware of the world and the writers who have come before us, an inpriational quote, and a poem.
I understand that Garrison's voice and reading style is (as some politely say) an acquired taste.
Help me to decide what to do next.
Why do you like or dislike Garrison's voice and/or the Writer's Almanac?
Would you like me to read the Writer's Almanc for the day, taking turns with Garrison?
Would you like to read Garrison's page silently or with headphones?
Would you like another website?
Please find and suggest one that does something similar, just without the voice that annoys you.
Check out the podcast section of iTunes, for one, if you want an audio experience.
8 comments:
I like the writer's almanac and i like how Garrison talks about writers and other people as well over the course of it. The way he talks through out it is a little more monotoneish than I would like but I can deal with it.
i love having garrison read at the begining of class. his stories are always interesting and make you think to understand some of them. also it gives me new ideas for how to write my essay
Personally I do not mind listening to Garrison. I like hearing what he has to say before class starts, but sometimes I would rather read it.
i find Garrisons voice very annoying but some of the stories are intresting i would rather read it alone and then discuss it as a class. I find it hard to concentrate on what he is saying sometimes because his voice is so ditracting! If we had to resd it and then discuss it, it would force me to focus that wsy if i am called on in class i know what i am going to say
Thanks for your opinions and some ideas as to how to use the Writer's Almanac in class.
Maybe we could have a blog post about it...What did you learn from Garrison this week?
Or something like that--what do you think?
I enjoy Garrison, mainly because of his voice. I understand why some people would get annoyed so i would be cool if you read it once a week but it must be in Garrison's voice to the best of your ability.
I find Garrison's voice soothing and entertaining. I can picture him sitting in front of a fire puffing on a tobacco pipe reading the writers almanac. I like Whitman's idea of you reading it in Garrison's voice.
I don't mind the Writers almanac. I would much rather listen to Garisson because it's something different than listening to you everyday. Listening to another person would not be bad but I do not care either way.
Post a Comment