Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Response: Kaffir Boy Preface

I am offering the autobiography Kaffir Boy to you for the following reasons:
I would like us to read one text all together.
People wanted an inspirational survival story.
People wanted to read something that was true.
People wanted a sports angle.

Mark Mathabane wrote this story of his rise from poverty in South Africa wen he was 26 after he had come to America on a tennis scholarship to attend college and compete as a tennis player.

After reading the preface(pp.70-11) and watching the YouTube video of Mark Mathabane, please comment below:

Would you like to read Kaffir Boy?
Why or why not?
What, if anything, do you think you could learn as a writer and as a person from his story?

35 comments:

Nathan Morgan said...

Kaffir Boy seems like something I would read and maybe enjoy reading but I personally rather read fiction, fantasy and sci-fi.

don said...

I feel like this is a very interesting story he has to tell, iwould like to possibly like to read this. I think i would learn a lot about the south african culture.

Taylor Ward said...

I dont think this story interests me. It seems interesting but not for me. If we read this I might get into it though.

ChrisP. said...

I think that reading this story will be interesting. i want to see what life is like in south africa.

coral said...

sure.. n u could learn from his book to never give up no mada how bad it gets it could always get better

coral said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cassandra Cyprien said...

I think kaffir boy would be a good book to read. It's always interesting to read something from someone elses point of view. You get the sense of how they felt to be in a there situation. The hardship in this book is what makes it such an interesting story.

Pat Mulligan said...

I would not like to read this story because i could barely stay awake just reading the preface

Jordan Alves said...

Yes, i would like to read Kaffir Boy because it sounds like an interesting book and it's a true story. And I would like to learn more about South African culture.

charles said...

This book does not peek my interest right now but I would think the book gets better towards the end.

patrick zadrozny said...

i would like to read this book. the topic intrest me very much. this man is inspiring and id like to read about his story

patrick zadrozny said...

i would like to read this book. the topic intrest me very much. this man is inspiring and id like to read about his story

Stephanie said...

this story seems very interesting and inspriring but personally i dont think i will connect that greatly with the story. it will be very nice to learn about other cultures.

Justin Canada said...

I believe the story would be pretty interesting even though its not my usual type of reading. It would be interesting to learn what life is like in Africa and I think I could learn a lot from reading someone elses hard times. But knowing that its a true story would make it even better.

Cassi Welch said...

normally i would not read this kind of story. I do like reading about sports but not knowing that much about the african culture may make it more difficult to follow. The author sounds like he has a pretty inspirational story though so i am willing to give it a try.

Scott said...

Kaffir Boy seems like a very inspirational story. I worked the fair with some carnies from South Africa and heard some crazy stories about living there, I am very interested in learning more it.

John Gauthier said...

Kaffir Boy actually seems intresting to read as it is how one person fought against the odds and won. I've always liked the "fight for survival" genre of books and this book fits it perfectly. I might be able to learn how to write about my personal expericences better from this book.

shawn w said...

I would love to read this based on what I already read because I want to learn to be able to endure hardships in case it ever happens to me and if it does I will be more prepared on the hard tasks ahead so I will be more likely to survive

Dr. G. said...

I am looking for total participation... if you have not yet blogged your resopnse, please jump in.

Many colleges and workplaces ask their students and/or employees to read biographies for inspirational purposes...

EmilyBillotte said...

Kaffir boy does not really catch my interest, so I would not want to read this book because I don't think I could really get into it.

mikey said...

i do think he has an amazing story to tell of all his lifes hardships, but i would like to see if there are any better books out there

Whitman said...

I would like to read Kaffir Boy, i really enjoy reading books of survival and inspiration. I am intersted in this book and Mathebane's story and i feel i would enjoy this read. I will definately appreciate his point of view and i would clearly learn about the South African culture and the struggles the author faced.

Noelle DeGrenier said...

I would like to read Kaffir Boy. Stories about real events and tragedies I usually can get interested in. I would like to learn about how living in South Africa was.

christina said...

I would like to read Kaffir Boy because i find it inspiring how he had basically nothing and beat the odds and got an education and a scholarship. I believe i could learn more about the poverty in his culture and how he survived it.

Ben Gaeta said...

This books seems pretty interesting I usually dontlike to read about poverty because its always the same old thing and doesnt seem like a good topic for an entire book.Although this story looks interesting so i would like to read the book after reding the preface I read the first chapter to see the writing style which is very good along with his impressive diction.

Kelly Neilan said...

I am interested in reading the book. It sounds interesting to learn about how he had grown up in South Africa. Also, because I play tennis I think it would be interesting to learn more about how he started playing tennis and how far he had got in that world.

Unknown said...

I would like to read this story, first off because it interests me and because reading how this person made it and came from nothing seems like a good book.

Molly kelley said...

Kaffir Boy seems very inspirational to me. I like reading about true storys because i feel it has alot of meaning. This seems like a very intereresting experience for Kaffir and i would like to read about it.

Lauren Rogers said...

This book seems like it would be interesting because it is about a man who was from Africa and not a lot of stories we read have been about other countries. I have also thought about playing tennis this year and if by reading this book, it might make me want to play eventually.

seaver said...

I think this is a very interesting story he has to tell, id like to possibly read this. I think i would learn a lot about the south african culture.

Caitlin said...

I think i would enjoy reading this book because its a true story and nonfiction stories are more interesting to me.

eddie neary said...

after reading the preface I am not interested in reading this book. it seems boring and hard to follow.

Kevin Bunszell said...

Kaffir Boy seems like a book I may be interested in reading because it's about a story that has insiration linked to sports, which seems like something I'd enjoy reading.

Matt Starkey said...

the preface to this book did not intrest me it seems like a boring book and i couldnt follow it

Brittany Whalen said...

I would love to read Kaffir Boy because I love to read real life stories. I could learn from his accomplishments and inspirations.