If you think of things from your own point of view then you are not seeing the entire picture. That is a clear and simple fact. You are cheating yourself from a higher level of understanding. The closer you are to this level of understanding and this level of thought then the more you see the chain of causes and effects, and not just the portion that is happening now, and not just the portion you are exposed to yourself.
This sounds pretentious because I can’t speak for this point of view as I am self centered beyond belief. If I was to be the person that I want to be then I would practice what I’m preaching right now. I’m working on it though, and I’m working on being the best human being that I can be.
There is never a clear or defined right or wrong, just opposing viewpoints. The problem is that everyone thinks they're the exception to this. It doesn't make you different if everyone else thinks they are different. Saying that everyone is ignorant is ignorant in itself. The actual point of ignorance is not seeing things from other people's point of view. No one understands everything, but not trying to understand is foolish and selfish.
Every conflict from property disputes to world wars boils down to this simple concept that one side thinks that they are right and the other side is wrong. War specifically is part of this concept that no side is ever right. Nations do this thing when they are a war where they demonize the enemy using fear and propaganda. If you look past fear though you realize that everyone is fighting because of fear one way or another.
Even in war there is no right and no wrong side, and if you don’t believe everything you’re told and look past that you reach a point of mutual understanding and are aware of why everyone does the things they do.
Examples aside, it’d be nice if everyone was aware, and slow to judgment and anger. You can be better then that, you can rise above the masses. Being aware is such an important aspect of the human experience. Being aware of yourself and of your motives is the first step of seeing the big picture. If you understand why you do things and where your priorities lie you not only become happier but you spend less time questioning yourself and more time expressing your thoughts and hearing the thoughts of others. Being aware of other people’s motives is even more important. If you can understand why other people do certain things then you realize that everything is an opinion.
There is never a clear and defined line that states what is right and what is wrong. Even things that are considered moral and immoral by society can be questioned. That’s exactly what we have to do though, we have to question our own beliefs and the foundations that we rely upon because not everyone has those same foundations. If you accept that you can be right and wrong in the same notion there are so many doors that are open to you and it changes the way that you live and the way that you perceive the world.
2 comments:
Joe,
I have noticed an improvement in the clarity of your explanation from your belief statement to this argument draft. You are becoming adept at articulating complex and abstract thought, and I do appreciate your examples as they do illustrate where you are coming from.
Admitting that one is self-centered is a start--I know that I wrestle with that as I realize I am no longer in the same generation as my students and that we do see things differently. Being attentive as a listener and actively soliciting another's point of view is key. Research becomes a way of life.
However, if you remember the Lincoln quote you heard the other day about right being might, there may be the need to stop the expression of a perception that is dangerous and destructive. Try reading about the "just war" theory, for instance [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory]. I do think Hitler's perception of the Master Race and the destruction of all people who were in the way of that needed to be stopped. I wish people who knew about the genocide in Rwanda did something about it, as few really did. The world just stood by.
Pastor Martin Niemoller's quote suggests why acting is sometimes important:
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out --
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out --
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out --
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me -- and there was no one left to speak for me.
So, although I understand the nobility and self-lessness of being open to other perceptions and work toward it myself, I find it hard to accept your proposal 100%; it's like the frequently mentioned restriction on free speech--you cannot yell Fire in a crowded theatre if there is no fire--and, if there is a fire, you cannot just leave and not warn others who are still enjoying the movie.
I understand what you are saying, I can accept it about 50% of the time, but not the other 50% because I think action is sometimes necessary when an idea is dangerous.
I am curious about the origin of your belief...is there a philosopher who opened your eyes, a poet or musician, an artist?
Its good and the restriction on free speach is true cause we can't say that much anymore like if we say something truthfull thats mean to some one it ends in a fight.
Post a Comment