Friday, February 13, 2015

A Diabetic Life


                One thing not many people know about me from first sight is that I am diabetic.  I am type 1 which means there is no way I am getting read of my disease and I will be injecting insulin for the rest of my life.  My day to day bases is way different then a normal person.

                In the morning, I have to test my sugar to make sure it’s in a normal range (90-120).  If it’s above I have to take fast releasing insulin (humolog) plus when I take it I need to eat a small meal but I just usually eat breakfast with it.  So not only I have to take insulin for my blood sugar range but I have to take insulin on the carbs I am eating to take that insulin.  Sometimes I’ll take my insulin after my breakfast so I know what to take.

                My doctor always told me to take my insulin either 30 minutes before or after  a meal.   I remember I took it before a meal once and I didn’t finish my meal.  At the time I didn’t think about it and started the rest of my day like usual.  Take a shower.  Get dress.  Brush my teeth.  Get to School.  About the end of first period, beginning  of second I started to get a cold feeling though out my body.  My chest began to shake then that sensation starting to go everywhere.  I knew then I wasn’t right and tested my sugar in the nurse’s office.  I was at 45.  So I eat something very quickly but nothing to much so my sugar doesn’t go up to far.  The only thing wrong with that is your body is saying, “eat, eat whatever you can get your hands on, faster”.  It’s just a bottomless pit with no intension on eating just a small thing of cracker nor just a cup of milk.

                Anyways after I take my insulin in the morning and eating breakfast, I can start my day.  Rather if its going to school or going out with my friends, I always need to bring a small bag of supplies like needles, insulin, tester, and maybe some extra test strips.  Before I leave I keep checking things making sure I don’t forget anything.  It’s different if you were getting ready for school so to speak and you forget a pencil or a book, not the end of the world, but if I forget to put my diabetic stuff in my bag before school I could be hospitalized.  Go into a coma. Possibly die.

                Then when I get ready for bed I need to test my sugar and take long releasing insulin (lantus) no matter what my sugar is and, if my sugar isn’t in normal range I have to take humolog on top of the lantus.  Most nights I am not worried about my sugars at night.  Other nights I really scared.  I think about sometimes if I go to sleep will I wake up in the morning or will my dad find me dead because my sugar dropped to low while I was sleeping or if I will go into a coma for not taking enough insulin and my sugar goes to high.  These nights will keep me up thinking.

                When I get up in the morning, it all starts over again. The testing.  The shots.  The challenge to basically stay alive.  This is a normal day as a diabetic.

 
                                                                                                                                        -Kevin Hagerty-

 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

your last paragraph was very powerful, especially the line where you say "the challenge to basically stay alive". You describe the steps you have to go through everyday, but I also get the feeling of a narrative essay. The title also grabs peoples attention, people with diabetes will have a sense of understanding, and it also informs people who know nothing about this disease. Very powerful

Frankie Griffin said...

From your writing I feel like I can really picture what you have to go through everyday. Your essay explains your life in a really powerful way. I like how you explain your day from when you wake up til you go to bed. Your title "A diabetic Life" got me intrigued from the beginning.

Unknown said...

Thanks Savannah and Frankie. You both commented on the title saying it pulled people in, that's what i wanted to do so thank you for letting me know the title worked. Also i would like to say thank you for taking the time to comment. Have a great day!!

Dr. G. said...

These nights will keep me up thinking.

This line makes me think, Kevin, about the power of this diagnosis in your life. THe narrative of your day makes me realize what I take for granted. I find your attitude complex and compelling--diabetes is both a big deal and it isn't becuase it seems you have become educated and can control it. I wonder how old you were when diagnosed and for how long you have been dealing with diabetes. You have done us a service by educating us. Thank you.