I cannot sit down and eat with either side of my family without someone saying something about my decision to be a vegetarian. I choose to live my life without meat, not just because I feel healthier without meat, but because I hate the injustice brought upon animals raised for slaughter. I’m fine, my doctors say i’m fine, and I have done extensive research on how to get nutrients and vitamins from other sources. But for some reason my family thinks I am going to die if I don't eat the thanksgiving turkey or the hotdogs they’re grilling at a family cookout. For me, it’s more like the ethical side of me, my conscience, will die if I do eat that hotdog.
So lets start with that. The ethical reasons on why I don’t eat meat. I’m not going to try to force you to become a vegetarian or vegan. I have nothing against people who eat meat, because it is your body, and you have the right to choose what you do and don’t put into it. Your body. And my body is my body. And the pigs body is his body. So that also means, I have the right to not put parts of that pigs body into my body. Chickens, pigs, cows, goats, ducks, fish, they are all sentient beings that know no malice. And what happens to them in the slaughterhouse deeply disturbs me. The filth and torture these wonderful, harmless beings have to go through disgusts me. I could not live with myself eating meat knowing what these beings go through to get to my plate. I will not go into detail about what happens in slaughterhouses, laboratories, fish farms, dairy farms, “cage-free” chicken coops, because I don’t want to seem like I’m forcing you into suddenly changing your whole life and becoming a vegetarian or vegan. But, I won’t let anyone tell me I have to eat meat. If you are interested in learning about the horrors that animals have to go through for our sake, please do the research. Watch videos, read articles and studies, and there are many books. Research what happens to baby cows born on dairy farms, how they get cows to produce milk, how they fish and farm fish, how they slaughter pigs and chickens. Research animal testing and the fur industry. But if you have no clue what they go through, do not tell me that I should eat them anyways. I’ll stick with spinach and apples, thank you.
A study also found that our digestive system is more similar to those of herbivore
mammals then carnivorous. When humans first developed on this planet, whether God put us here or we evolved from bacteria and microbes, we were omnivorous. We didn't start eating other beings until the caveman days, when fire was discovered and forging wasn’t keeping up with supply and demand.
mammals then carnivorous. When humans first developed on this planet, whether God put us here or we evolved from bacteria and microbes, we were omnivorous. We didn't start eating other beings until the caveman days, when fire was discovered and forging wasn’t keeping up with supply and demand.
“Where do you get your protein?” The golden question I get everytime. Yes, meat has a lot of protein, but eating a big mac or fried chicken won’t give me what I need. In fact, eating too much meat has shown to be very bad for us. Too much protein can lead to obesity, cancer, kidney problems, and dehydration. We are supposed to have between 40-60 grams of protein a day, there are 54 grams in one 6-ounce steak! Meat is NOT the only thing in the world containing protein! I can’t stress that enough. Other things that have protein that are actually a lot healthier for you are: spinach, dairy (if you eat dairy products), nuts, seeds, peanut butter, most grains (yes, bread!), broccoli, apples, beans, granola bars…..pretty much everything you eat has some amounts of protein in them! And I love a good salad, one with spinach, cucumbers, green peppers, tomatoes…..which contains proteins, lycopene, and other nutrients and vitamins that protect against disease and cancer and fuel your body! Meat doesn’t have cancer fighting lycopene in it, just fatty cholesterol. (and cholesterol only comes from animal products.) Also, vegans rejoice, a lot of junk foods like chips and oreos are vegan! As you can tell, I keep my health up by eating a lot more than chicken and fries. You don’t need meat to be in good health, and going vegan/vegetarian DROPS the pounds. When I switched to vegan, I dropped 20 pounds in three months by eating healthy and light exercise. I eat dairy now, but dairy is also horrible for your skin, so I’m going back to vegan soon. And yes, I went to my doctors regularly when I dropped all that weight, and he said I was healthy as a horse.
So lets go to my 17th birthday. I had been vegan for almost four months. My aunt took me to a restaurant on the ocean, and the whole menu was seafood (which I already hated seafood anyways), except the spaghetti. So thats what I ordered, and when it came back, it was a tiny plate with hamburger in the sauce. When I asked for no meat, they said they didn't have it without meat, so i just got plain spaghetti. It wasn't a huge ordeal, until my grandmother (who isn't a great person anyway) yelled “Just eat the damn meat it won’t kill you!” No, it won’t kill me, but it would definitely kill the ethical side of me.
7 comments:
I think the purpose of this essay what to get people to understand vegetarians and to stop bothering them about things that they did research on and I think the purpose is to say that everyone's body is their own and you don't have to eat meat to be healthy. I found it really interesting that a 6 ounce steak already has 54 grams and we only need 60 a day!
I think your essay covers everything you intended to do. It shows tat yes you did your research but it also shows that you took a little time to think about it. The way I look at it, as like you said, you are your own person and you can do what you want in your best interest. Have you ever though about showing this essay to your family? This may help them understand more and to get them off your back. Thanks for your time.
I think that this is a very well written essay. I think that the examples and details that you have provided has shown everyone that being a vegetarian is healthy for your body. I agree with Abby that it is very interesting that we only need 60 grams a day and that a 6 ounce steak contains 54 grams.
I agree with Abby. I think the purpose of your essay is that you can still be healthy without eating meat and people shouldn't force someone to eat something that you don't want to eat. Just like you said in your essay "your body is your body and my body is my body" Its your choice and its your life you can do what you want.
It is clear how important being a vegetarian is to you and your tone is extremely clear in this essay. You can tell that you are arguing your right to be a vegetarian for yourself and not trying to force others to adapt to your views. It is also clear that you have done your research and are a vegetarian for your own reasons and know exactly what you are doing. It is actually really inspiring how strong you feel about it!
I agree with Kevin. Your essay was very objective, and as the reader, I trusted you and understood that you really knew what you were talking about. I also enjoyed how you emphasized the importance of individuality. You made clear, that the purpose of your essay was not to make people rethink their eating habits, but instead, to allow them to comprehend yours. You had great facts in your essay to support what you were saying.
Your essay was a great read. You were very mindful of your audience and successful in portraying your purpose.
"For me, it’s more like the ethical side of me, my conscience, will die if I do eat that hotdog." This is my favorite part because it shows what you ultimate priority is your conscience. I appreciate the glimpses into your struggles with those who disagree with you via anecdotes, brief narratives. I wonder what the timeline of your decision-making process was or if you became vegetarian gradually or all at once?
Post a Comment