Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Friday; In the library, draft away!

So, you have a topic--go for it!
Post your essay as a draft we can peer edit as a class.
Use the New Post link at the top right corner of the blog.

You can email it to me as an attachment, if you'd rather.

drgrm110@gmail.com
elizabethgonsalves@abingtonps.org

2 comments:

Unknown said...


A Diabetic Life

One thing not many people know about me from first sight is that I am diabetic. I am type 1 which means there is no way I am getting read of my disease and I will be injecting insulin for the rest of my life. My day to day bases is way different then a normal person.
In the morning, I have to test my sugar to make sure it’s in a normal range (90-120). If it’s above I have to take fast releasing insulin (humolog) plus when I take it I need to eat a small meal but I just usually eat breakfast with it. So not only I have to take insulin for my blood sugar range but I have to take insulin on the carbs I am eating to take that insulin. Sometimes I’ll take my insulin after my breakfast so I know what to take.
My doctor always told me to take my insulin either 30 minutes before or after a meal. I remember I took it before a meal once and I didn’t finish my meal. At the time I didn’t think about it and started the rest of my day like usual. Take a shower. Get dress. Brush my teeth. Get to School. About the end of first period, beginning of second I started to get a cold feeling though out my body. My chest began to shake then that sensation starting to go everywhere. I knew then I wasn’t right and tested my sugar in the nurse’s office. I was at 45. So I eat something very quickly but nothing to much so my sugar doesn’t go up to far. The only thing wrong with that is your body is saying, “eat, eat whatever you can get your hands on, faster”. It’s just a bottomless pit with no intension on eating just a small thing of cracker nor just a cup of milk.
Anyways after I take my insulin in the morning and eating breakfast, I can start my day. Rather if its going to school or going out with my friends, I always need to bring a small bag of supplies like needles, insulin, tester, and maybe some extra test strips. Before I leave I keep checking things making sure I don’t forget anything. It’s different if you were getting ready for school so to speak and you forget a pencil or a book, not the end of the world, but if I forget to put my diabetic stuff in my bag before school I could be hospitalized. Go into a coma. Possibly die.
Then when I get ready for bed I need to test my sugar and take long releasing insulin (lantus) no matter what my sugar is and, if my sugar isn’t in normal range I have to take humolog on top of the lantus. Most nights I am not worried about my sugars at night. Other nights I really scared. I think about sometimes if I go to sleep will I wake up in the morning or will my dad find me dead because my sugar dropped to low while I was sleeping or if I will go into a coma for not taking enough insulin and my sugar goes to high. These nights will keep me up thinking.
When I get up in the morning, it all starts over again. The testing. The shots. The challenge to basically stay alive. This is a normal day as a diabetic.


-Kevin Hagerty-

Amandha A. said...

Mornings and their Rituals

Step 1~ The day has risen. It's 5:45am and your alarm is screaming at you. Your eyes fail to open, as your fingers wearily yet robotically type the password to your iPhone, allowing the blaring noise to cease. You know you should get up, but hey, what are snooze buttons for? You immerse back into your rudely interrupted dream. Hell, you've got fifteen more minutes.

Step 2~ It is now 6:00am. Your alarm clock is no longer screaming. It is now wailing like a newborn who has risen to the occasion. YOU MUST GET UP! On your feet you stand. They have never felt heavier. Your eyes are swollen shut, your cheeks flushed, your hair untamed, and your soul longs for the warmth of the fresh comfy white sheets. To the bathroom you go.

Step 3~ Your unsightly image is glaring at you. You stand facing the mirror, perplexed as to where begin. The clock is eternally ticking. You realize it is 6:06am. You quickly brush your teeth. As your flat iron prepares itself, you dab on some blush bringing color to your flushed cheeks, and mascara to you forever cursed eyelashes. Why are they so short? Quickly you straighten the rebellious strands of hair and gather them into a socially acceptable "messy bun". That should do it. You think?

Step 4~ Rapidly you scan your closet for something other than a T-shirt, yoga pants, and UGGs. You try on a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and a relatively dressy sweater, the saleswoman at American Eagle enthusiastically advocated "totally brings out the color in your eyes". You return to the mirror to find the reflection staring back at you is not one you like. You wriggle out of the sweater, careful your Pandora doesn't pull a thread. You decide to go for a comfy sweater. It is a Monday. You scoop up the nearest one. Looking at the mirror, you are covered in displeasure once again. You resort back to the T-shirt and yoga pants. You throw on a pair of oversized diamond studs. It is now 6:36am.

Step 5~ You race down the stairs. Your legs feel like jell-o. You scurry to the kitchen. You must pack your lunch before your overbearing, kale drinking mother lectures you on the importance of vitamins and nutrients. You grab strawberries, rinse them and into the ziplock bag they go. You make a chicken caesar wrap and pack an apple. Honey crisp of course! Your wrap takes longer than expected. Someone tweeted something of your interest and you lost focus. It is now 6:50am.

Step 6~ You have 10 minutes to be in your car. Quickly you put on your UGGs, as your eyes skim the room for your North Face and keys. Your North Face is nowhere to be found. You smell something burning and remember you left the flat iron on. Crap!

Step 7~ You found your North Face and the flat iron is now off. It is 7:00am. You have everything.

Step 8~ You slide into the driver seat. The car is frigid! Living in New England, you should've remembered to start your car earlier. You finally start the car and blast the heat. Before backing out, you look around and realize your backpack is missing. Back into the house you go!

Step 9~ You grab your backpack from the kitchen countertop. Quickly you're out the door and back into your car.

Step 10~ 7:08am. Congratulations, you're offically late.

~Amandha Antonio