The process essay " Problem: How to Open a CD Box" is a sarcastic, step by step, process essay. I wanted you to see the format and pay attention to the tone. This narrative/process essay does not have to be serious--it can be about how to do something or how to avoid doing something. Students don't have the opportunity to write for humorous purposes often, so I wanted you to know it was an option.
Answer the following two questions in your comments: Questions #1,3, and 5 on page 232
1. Kalman and Kalman use numbering instead of transitions.
What is the effect of this strategy?
Do you like it or not?
3. Describe Kalman and Kalman's purpose in writing this piece.
What phrases or sentences effectively convey this purpose? (reasonable people may disagree)
In particular , notice step 7.
How does its brevity help the authors achieve their purpose?
5. Who is Kalman and Kalman's audience?
Point out examples of diction specifically suited to that audience?
How might the diction change if directed to a different audience?
Looking forward to rading your thoughts and gaining a new habit--asynchronous discussion.
Also, please know that after reading and writing about both narrative and process essays, you get to choose which one you want to write. Both essays are rooted in writing to communicate an event or events in a chronological order as the organizing factor. Choose the one that suits your purposes as a writer best!
7 comments:
1.I think they used numbers to make it more list like, organized, and easier for the reader to follow. It also helps to make somewhat of a comedic affect.
3.The purpose in writing this is to show the comedic affect opening a simple CD container can be, and how after all the struggle we choose to leave it on a shelf then forget about it anyways
5. The audience I think is anyone who has tried to open a CD box with their fingernails, and can appreciate how funny they make it out to be.
1. I think the effect of this strategy is to make it like a list that the audience must follow like a recipe.I do like this strategy because it is easier to read it this way.
2. Kalman and Kalman's purpose in this piece is to be amusing in showing you how to open a CD box.He achieves his purpose in step 7 especially because it is obvious that you will enjoy the CD, but it is amusing that he makes it an actual step in how to open it.
5.Kalman's audience is anybody who rarely listens to CD's because the steps he gives are so obvious and amusing, but he sounds like he is treating the audience like a little kid learning how to do that stuff.
1. The way Kalman and Kalman use numbering instead of transitions allows the audience to think of the essay as a process. I agree with Abby that it's almost like the audience is following a recipe. The strategy they use draws in the audience and captivates their attention. I enjoyed the format of the essay.
2. The tone of the essay was very sarcastic. Kalman and Kalman conveyed a sarcastic tone through phrases such as "Better yet, buy a special 99-cent EZ-CD opener tool designed precisely for this purpose. Ain't America grand?" (Pg. 231) and "There, among the copy-right notices, publishing credits and assisting tape-engineering credits, you'll find the song list. Isn't it fun reading with a magnifying glass?" (Pg. 231). Others may perceive the tone differently. Others may find it educational depending on the angle from which they're reading. Some may find it humorous and read the essay for entertainment.
5. The intended audience is anyone who may have struggled over something that appears to be fairly simplistic. In the fifth step Kalman and Kalman address the difficulty of finding/removing the song list from the cover. In the quote, "To find the song list, you must...This will cost you a cuticle." Kalman and Kalman use words such as ingenuity, last-ditch attempt, and cost. Again, allowing the audience to better visualize the content. Depending on the audience the authors may use more simplistic diction if addressing a younger audience, or more sophisticated diction if addressing people of a high education or understanding.
I answered question 2 instead of 3...
3. The purpose of the essay written by Kalman and Kalman, is to transmit to an audience a tone of sarcasm and humor. The purpose is to laugh and ridicule a simplistic endeavor which in most cases actually turns out to be strenuous and burdensome. The ninth step is a great example of how the authors convey their purpose and tone. The seventh step is very brief and successful in achieving their purpose because, for it is sarcastic and short in conveying to the audience that all those demanding steps serve for a small amount of enjoyment. This step is the ultimate phrase of ridicule.
1.) I think Kalman and Lulu Kalman uses numbering instead of transitions because it's more helpful to follow and easier for people to understand.
3.) The purpose in this piece is to show how to open a CD box I believe. I think step one and ten are important and mean the most because the authors go from how to remove and what to you should use to open the box, then in a couple of years you'll find yourself putting the box in the basement because something new has came along. Step seven is a great step I think, because the author is trying to tell you the most important thing to enjoy the cd.
5.) I think the audience is to anyone, I think people think this isn't a thing that needs steps. I also think it's to anyone who likes to follow step by step and struggles without instructions.
1. They use numbering instead of transition because they are explaining it in steps. The effect of this strategy is to make it more understandable.
3. Their purpose is to give steps on how to open a CD case which they think is a pain, while making it funny at the same time.
5. The audience intended for this piece is really anyone who lays their eyes on it.
1.I think the number were to make it easier to read, like a list.
3.I think the purpose is to amusingly show you how to open a CD box.
5. The audience is anyone who listens to CD or is new to listening to them.
Post a Comment